If you’re planning to have a dinner that tastes like a restaurant but it’s all homemade, this sweet and sour meatballs recipe is the perfect dish for you. The sauce is tangy and sweet and the meatball is juicy which makes a perfect dish combination.
SAUCE FOR SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS:
Making the sweet and sour sauce looks difficult when you look at the ingredients but it is easier than it looks. The procedure is pretty simple.
ONIONS – white onion is recommended here and is cut into bigger slices.
PEPPER- I used different colours of pepper here so the dish will be more colourful and enticing. I feel the combination of their flavours is better. The red, orange and yellow peppers are sweeter than the green one. Although you can just one colour or at least red and green bell peppers.
CARROT – You can cut it into strips or into rounds or slant cuts, not so thick so it can easily be cooked.
PINEAPPLE – I usually use the canned one. I prefer using the tidbits since it is already precut and saves you a bit of time. If not you can also use the pineapple chunks or the slice and just cut according to your preference.
TOMATO KETCHUP – You can use any brand of tomato ketchup.
VINEGAR – I use white vinegar in this recipe but you can also use other types of vinegar, like cane vinegar.
SUGAR – I used brown sugar. This balances the taste of our sauce.
CORNSTARCH – dilute 1 tbsp. of cornstarch to 3 tbsp of water. This thickens the consistency of your sweet and sour sauce.
- 1 lb. pork, ground
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 pc. egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1tbsp. garlic
- 1 cup onion
- 1 pc. red bell pepper, medium
- 1 pc. green bell pepper, medium
- 1 pc. carrot, small
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch diluted in 3 tbsp water
- Mix your meatball ingredients: ground pork, onion, salt, ground pepper, egg and breadcrumbs thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a ball from your meatball mixture using a scoop. Repeat until the mixture is done then set aside.
- Heat up oil in a frying pan.
- When the oil is hot enough. Start frying the meatballs in a low-medium heat until the outer part turns brown.
- After you finished frying all the meatballs, set them aside.
- Heat up oil another pan then saute garlic.
- Add the vegetables and saute for at least 2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple tidbits and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the tomato ketchup, vinegar, sugar and stir to combine.
- Add water and let it boil.
- Put in the diluted cornstarch and cook until the desired thickness of the sauce.
- Finally, add the cooked meatballs to sweet and sour sauce or pour your sauce over cooked meatballs. Stir.
- Serve over hot rice and enjoy!