Nanaimo bar is a must-have and popular treat in Canada. It is very rich and loaded with flavours made with tempting chocolate of your choice, honey-sweetened graham cracker crumbs, chewy shredded coconut and rich butter and custard powder.
WHAT IS A NANAIMO BAR?
It is a no-bake and easy to make dessert. It is layered into three which consist of the base layer which contains the graham cracker crumbs and shredded coconut, a middle icing of custard powder mixed with powdered sugar and a top coating of the favourite chocolate.
This dessert is known to originate and named after the west coast city of Nanaimo in British Columbia.
NANAIMO BAR INGREDIENTS:
Shredded coconut – unsweetened shredded coconut is preferred here and should be fine shredded coconut. Using sweetened one is also an alternative.
Graham Crackers – using the graham cracker crumbs is fine but using the cracker is just fine. Just crush it but not into powder. Make sure that it will still give texture.
Egg – 1 large egg is used here.
Butter- unsalted butter is used here in 3 layers which makes the recipe rich
Sugar – I use granulated sugar for the base and powdered sugar for the icing
Cocoa Powder– unsweetened cocoa powder is preferred so the recipe will not be too sweet.
Milk– put it intro room temperature before using it. If you want your icing thicker, heavy cream is recommended.
Custard Powder – I used Bird’s custard powder here which gives a yellow colour icing. Some recipes use powdered milk instead of giving a white icing and less sweet. It’s your preference.
Powdered sugar – make sure to use powdered sugar and not granulated sugar.
Chocolate – choosing a decadent chocolate is advised here because this will give you a delicious coating. Dark or semi-sweet chocolate is recommended to give a perfect chocolate coating.
Try it and you can leave comments on what you think or post your creation in the comment section. You can also try to make other treats like Coconut Macaroons Best Recipe, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies Recipe, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups graham cracker
- 1 cup unsweetened fine shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. custard powder
- 3 tbsp. milk, room temperature
- 8 oz dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the butter, granulated sugar and cocoa powder in a large heatproof container or bowl and place it over a simmering water. Whisk until well-combined and melted.
- Pour the lightly beaten egg slowly into the mixture then whisk vigorously. Add vanilla and continue whisking the mixture until you will reach a pudding-like consistency.
- Take off the mixture from the heat and mix in the graham cracker crumbs and coconut.
- Spread the mixture into the bottom of the pan evenly making sure to press down firmly to make it as solid as it could be. Set aside and refrigerate while making your custard filling.
- Cream the butter, powdered sugar then add custard powder and milk. Beat until smooth.
- Take out the refrigerated base and spread the custard mixture over it in equal distribution. Then return to the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour. The longer the better.
- Put chopped chocolate and butter which was kept in room temperature in a microwavable bowl. Place it in microwave for about 30 seconds then stir. After that, continue microwaving 1n 10 seconds interval until the chocolate has melted, stirring it in between.
- Take out the pan from the fridge and spread the melted chocolate over the custard layer. Return it to the fridge and chill it for another hour or until completely set.
After it settled, cut it into bars with a serrated knife and share it with your loved ones.
WATCH OUR LATEST VIDEO: